22 July 2006

what happens in bed is supposed to stay in bed.....

....unless it's as innocently funny and entertaining as last night was!

Mind you dear readership, I know some of you may be a bit shocked by what's to come - so this is my single line of "warning" if you will.

After work I found a willing victim (to be referred to throughout this entry as my fearless companion) to go out for a Friday evening pint. We stopped by a nice old pub only to find the courtyard packed with people of the same Friday evening mind as we were: socializing over a refreshing pint. So instead of putting up with the overly stuffy and sweaty pub interior we moved on to look for another venue. My fearless companion recollected another pub he'd been to that would probably be slightly less packed and a bit more temperate. So I merrily followed along.

We arrived at what he remembered as being a jazz club and found it very quiet in comparison to the last place we'd stopped. I immediately noticed some differences in this place than what my fearless companion remembered from having been to a jazz club: the rainbow pride little flag, the Dublin Pride poster, and the lack of anyone female. I kept my talkative mouth shut about this subject, waiting for my fearless companion to chime in on his opinion for I was far too entertained (my apparent word du jour) by the setting and waiting for him to notice the surroundings. He grabbed us pints and we flopped back in comfort on these massive red couches filled with cushions made to resemble huge circular beds. Lounging with a pint of beer, talking and laughing ensued... until one of us mentioned our surroundings. Thank goodness my fearless companion was not freaked or weirded out by the new style of the jazz club. Although the setting did make for eeeenteresting jokes and conversations.

We had a few more pints while lounging on our massively huge couch with comfy cushions; we did end up staying in this same location for our entire evening until it was time for the Cinderellas to leave the ball.

There are some details of this adventure, that no matter how innocent they were, shall be left up to your imaginations (and they truly are innocent - I assure you). They just added to the ambiance of the evening to make it memorable.

We managed to have a few pints over many many hours - and I had an excellent time!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

still laughing out loud after a highly entertaining post! you put plenty of disclaimers and warnings in there, I notice, presumably in case any of we entertained readers jump to any incorrect conclusions.

that said: so, you spent the evening on/in a large bed in a public place full of gay men? The beer must have been extra good then! (own disclaimer: not that there's anything wrong at all with doing whatever you want surrounded by any number of people of any gender or apparent sexual orientation; sounds like your combination added an extra element of hilarity)

Unknown said...

*curtsy, curtsy, wink, grin*

I'm glad to have entertained!

Not only did I spend the entire evening in a large bed surrounded by gay men, I did it with a straight man at my side. So I was not in bed alone! *grins impishly* Ahhh - the ways to get men in bed in an entirely hysterical and innocent context.

And yes, jumping to conclusions when your relatives and mother's friends read your blog.... well, disclaimers were in order!

Anonymous said...

*!!*

First of all, a big hi to my fellow readers, especially Yvette's mother, relatives and mother's friends!

Ehhhm, I'd really worry if the only way to get a straight bloke into a public bed was to surround the scene with gay men. Sounds like this one wasn't entirely aware of the surroundings until the entertainment was well underway anyway — and wouldn't it have been a terrible tragedy to abandon a recently-purchased pint?

Unknown said...

My mother (who I am currently conversing with) says "hello exigently".

*just laughing far too hard - woe is my lungs and their lack of oxygen*

I don't even want to know what you're implying with that bit about "public beds". Although I concur with the tradgedy that it would've been had my fearless companion and I abandoned our pints once he realized the situation. (aye, and m'parrot concurs)

Ambiance!

Anonymous said...

*MUCH more laughter*

arrrrrrr… exigently is delighted to accept the 'hi' from your mum :)

Umm, don't know of many other public beds, but the term is just so… ambiguous… that the ambiguity makes it entertaining. Hooks into the whole hilarity of this place actually having a good number of these bed-like constructions and the character of the place and the massive scope there for all sorts of statements made entertaining by their ambiguous and implicative nature — as per your actual post, hence the necessity for all the disclaimers.