23 July 2006

first is the worst, second is the best, third is the one with the hairy chest (don't ask me what fourth is)

I have overcome the pitch&putt challenge. Tracy, I kept thinking of you - how much you guys would LOVE this activity. Heck, even I loved it - the States definitely needs to adopt that one. There's part of me that wishes I could find time and companions to go again because it reminds me of my fascination with bowling: I'm ok at it, it's funny to watch, it's social, and no one's ever very good at it so no one's competitive.

So, the game really is a shortened version of golf (not mini [errrr crazy] golf). My dear friend who invited me along described it thus in an email to me:
Well, it's a sort of semi-golf for people who don't or can't take golf seriously and want to have a bit of fun hitting a ball around instead of wearing silly clothes and looking all serious. Smaller course; typically you rent a pair of clubs when you arrive and you don't pay too much attention to keeping score.
That really is the perfect description.

So I walked over to get a ride and we hit the road south to pick up the other two guys who initiated this venture.

Ahhh - the Irish bloke - such a rare breed - these two were fantastic.

So, the four of us headed off to the course to rent our pair of clubs: a wedge of some indiscriminate sort (I only know that much because the guys were talking about how it was too much of some kind of wedge) and a putter (which I'm familiar-esque with from mini golf outings [Seattleites - we are so going to play minigolf when I get back]). We each got two balls and a bag of tees for the group. Equipment: check.

Now, I have never actually hit a golf ball any distance. I have never desired driving a golf ball anywhere. I am a putter (and only an amateur at that). So I begged out of the starting position and watched. Somehow, I managed not to make a complete fool out of myself on that first hit. Although I must say that I'm glad that those balls bounce since I didn't see much air for the first few holes.

To assuage curiosity:
  • No, it did not take me more hits than my age on any single hole.
  • No, it didn't even take me double digits on any single hole.
  • No, I did not lose any balls to any sort of obstacles (that was my lovely friend's job)
  • Yes, I always forgot to take my tee when I was done.
  • 2nd, I came in second out of four after the bloke who actually golf golfs which is just short of a minor miracle. I do not know what this is a sign of. Other than that I can twirl around in circles like an elementary school girl singing the title of this post: first is the worst, second is the best, third is the one with the hairy chest!
  • No, I didn't ever fall over laughing; however, I did laugh a whole lot (my lungs are burning from the past week-ish of laughter).
  • Yes, I did get a par 3 on one hole.
pitch&putt is brilliant - and it's not just because I did well. It needs adoption in the states just like duckpin bowling needs to expand its horizons outside of Maryland. I miss that game too. So, I guess I'll go back to mini golf and fondly remember my time on the pitch&putt with 3 wonderful, handsome and hilarious gentlemen.

Thanks for the fun frolic to the pitch&putt frequent friend with a broken sarcasm and rambling detector! *grins*

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I think it might have been a sand wedge. Sounds painful, but I speculate that 'real' golfers use it to try to hit the ball out of a bunker.
2. duckpin bowling — !!! Looked that up and it sounds like... a localised variant of tenpin bowling with smaller balls and smaller pins. Ummm, why?
3. Does a rambling detector alert you when it's been detected that you've embarked on a ramble and are therefore potentially lost in a mountain range somewhere? :p

Am much amused reading your accounts of your recent... escapades!

[aside: <ol> tag not allowed in comments — oh noes! — having to hand-number numbered remarks]

Unknown said...

1. Yes, sand wedges were mentioned often. I just started ignoring them and hitting the ball. Apparently that worked just as well as not trying to figure out what the non-putter club was! (at least for me - I don't need the testosterone induced feather preen of the Irish bloke over pitch&putt)

2. Duckpin bowling - oh, I miss duckpin bowling. And I haven't been tenpin bowling in far too long.. sadness! Maybe that's cause I skipped my birthday this year so I skipped the bowling. And yes, you are right about the smaller part.. it's a mini version of bowling: the balls are small enough that they don't have holes to put your fingers in so that you have to clutch them in your hands. And there are 10 pins, but they are shorter (no need to be tall with a small ball) and fatter. You get 3 rolls each time and the alley is setup the same as is the triangular configuration of the pins. Asking why duckpin bowling is like asking why pitch&putt? Ahhh - local customs are great.

3. Weirdo. At least yours works - although you ignore it!!!

And thank you - I've been having much fun on my recent escapades!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my kind of game! Is there beer involved, too?
Boy, I just realized that I haven't been bowling in a while. We're deep into softball season now. The Scallions are plowing forward toward challenge week (hopefully that won't be against the City Planners). Anyway, we miss you and wish you were still on the team!

Unknown said...

No bowling for you? You guys must be busy!

GO SCALLIONS! I still have that t-shirt you made me and grin everytime I wear it - remembering that last time as catcher where I managed to hurt myself rather entertainingly.... ahhh - good times! I miss the team!

Ewww - hope it's not against the City Planners... bring extra beer if it is?

And you just asked someone living in Ireland if something involves beer. I didn't see any - and there may have been restrictions against such things - but I wouldn't be suprised at all if it ever did involve beer! Mmmm - Guinness!

Anonymous said...

I guess beer's not illegal and would't impede one's ability all that much. The owners of the course might have an opinion about players turning up with a bucket full of cold beer (mmm....) along with the balls — 'cos drinking beer outdoors in a field-like place is often associated with scangers (or even just disaffected local yoofs)

Anyway, Guinness has to be served draught — it's not portable!

What kind of wet blanket is this — hot day like those recently, cold beer: yum!

Unknown said...

Ok - fine, so not Guinness - but something cold and tasty would actually improve that game.

Ahhh - I was so sad when the Scallions made me catcher - couldn't drink with the outfielders!!

"wet blanket"? Speaka the Eeengalish for the Ameriiican. *grins*

Good lord it's hot out... *swelter swelter swelter*

Anonymous said...

"wet blanket" — emmm, a wet blanket is a non-optimistic person who tends to pour water on or find faults with otherwise perfectly-alright things. Not the most fun at parties; they usually want to turn the music down and go home at 10, after making sure nobody else drinks just in case something bad happens. Rarely seen enjoying a glass of nice cold beer!

(original use of the word was self referential after realising I'd thought of several reasons not to drink beer while pitch-and-putting. snort!)