15 July 2006

one makes mistakes

We always make our own mistakes in life - for one reason or another - and there are things be learned from them. There are days I wish I could teach others via my lessons so that they don't end up with my mistakes. But that wouldn't work out.

Why am I thinking about this now of all times? Well, because I'm supposed to be spending my last day doing "touristy stuff" in Dublin today and figuring how to get out of the city tomorrow for the day... However, I'm sitting gingerly on my couch shaking my head and laughing at myself. My derriere is sore, my embarrassment from a good night of drinking is enormously high, and I'm still smiling. Y'see, I'd love to teach all my younger relatives that I'm so protective of that making a fool of yourself when drunk is what tends to happen.

And I shall elaborate on two tales of why I should be and am embarrassed:
  1. Yvette walks into a glass door. Like the birds I used to giggle at flying into the front of my parents huge house of windows, I was the bird who stepped back and shook my head and started laughing and then turned that laughter into tears of laughter when I couldn't get enough oxygen and admitted my gracelessness to my other erstwhile companion of the evening. Unfortunately, there was a witness who knew me so I'll never live it down - so I might as well enjoy laughing at it. I can't believe my silly witness bought me another beer after witnessing that.
  2. The reason I have a sore bum is that I forgot my purse inside the last pub of the evening and had to go back down the stone steps to get it. Unfortunately, when one's wearing slippery flipflops and has no sense of balance, one falls down said stairs on her rear. As they say in one of my favorite musicals RENT, "I regret this news." Ouch. I think my other erstwhile companion witnessed that one but was far far far too kind to laugh at me then about it (then - we'll see if this gentlemanliness is maintained). I definitely think it's a good thing I'd decided to put myself to bed before this incident because it means maybe I was kinda able to think at the time. And to bed I went - after walking home that is - I didn't join any bums on the street.
These are the kinds of hysterical "harmless" (in a sense) escapades that remind me that everyone makes mistakes. Just so long as we don't cross into that harmful world, we're all good. Now, if only we could learn from each other's mistakes rather than having to be inquisitive humans who try everything. Oh wait, I don't even learn from my own mistakes half the time!

Ok - time to psyche myself up and get out into the sun to wander and do something with myself. It's another quiet and alone weekend for me so I might as well go people watch. Anyone wanna teleport in to keep me company in my ramblings? I promise, I don't need any alcohol to prove highly entertaining (which is a good thing, because there's none in my near future - I'm protective of my lack of dignity).

Author's Note:
In walking around the wonderful city of Dublin today doing some window shopping, and reading in the park and exploring other corners, I realized that my embarrassment from last night shall remain with me longer than just it's normal "morning after". Unfortunately, I shall not forget my skid down the steps at the bar last night - either in my mind or in my body. No amount of padding makes sitting on the hard ground comfortable. Aye yai yai. This author is damaged goods.

No comments: