30 May 2006

Ode to my Oven Accompanied By County Cork Pictures

So, I finally took the time to put up with using bluetooth between my mobile and my iBook to get my photos off my phone and onto my 'puter. It was a tedious process, but since the cord doesn't have Mac compatible software, it was a requirement. So, to go with my earlier tales of woe in Cork - here are some of the pictures. One from my rainy Sunday in Blarney and one from my sunny Saturday in Cork. Enjoy the pictures.

And since people keep wondering - does my stove work? Will my stove ever work? How is my stove?

My oven would like to report that it is merrily able to cook me delicious food now that it turns on. About 2 weeks ago I finally gave in and e-mailed my landlord to ask if there was "some secret to Irish ovens". He responded by calling me that evening to ask what was occuring and when I explained to him my predicament he "hrrrmmmed" for a moment and then scheduled to stop in the next evening to have a look and drop of the manuals that I didn't have for my appliances.

I was utterly and completely humiliated at having to ask this question - it's an oven - it's got 2 dials - how hard can it be??? But no - it just blinked at me stating it's proud mastery of electricity but refusing to heat.

So when my landlord arrived the following night I wasn't surprised at my feeling of dread that this would be one of those "let's see how American Yvette is" events in my welcome to Ireland. And, as to not disappoint, the oven obliged with being a lovingly odd European appliance.....

You have to set the clock on the oven before you can get it to turn on. No matter what. Who'da thunkit?? Not me!!!

My landlord deftly set my clock and turned on the oven and there was a light and heat and everything!!! Blonde moment!

Somehow, the completely wordless oven needs it's clock set before it will turn on - and apparently it's this way to make it "the same throughout Europe"... ummmmm..... ok..... I still think it's weird. But my oven works wonderfully and I've been cooking in a lot now!


Cork City Centre
Originally uploaded by yvettemn.
And as my third trick for this evening, I'd like to once again proclaim that the rounds system in Ireland is entirely dangerous and very fun. Tuesday night I went out with a few coworkers to celebrate a work related triumph although having just gotten over food poisoning - I stuck to Diet Coke and water. Wednesday night I saw the Editors in concert which was absolutely amazing!! Thursday night I went out for yummy yummy Indian food. And Friday night I went out for "a pint". (The "a" part of that qualification is a complete misnomer - no matter who says it.) And then I spent the rest of the weekend doing chores, relaxing, trying to figure out what I'm doing with Amy when she visits and we head to Northern Ireland and making sure my entire weekend in London is all setup (I leave for London Friday night).

No comments: