03 May 2006

Oh bloody hell!

I'm verymuchso obsessed with the nastyass smell of Guiness brewing. Maybe it's something to do with the gag reflex that kicked in while I tried to hold my breath for 0.5 miles this morning on my way to the office and the fact that the smell evolved from nasty rotting beef stroganoff to nasty rotting beef stroganoff doused with old vinegar and left in a stable. Double nasty yuckies! I love beef stroganoff but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to eat it again.

In other news, I'm gravely embarassed by my inability to comprehend some people through their Irish accents. You always learn accents over time, but it makes me really feel bad that I can't understand someone just because they have an accent - especially when it's doing something mundane like ordering lunch. On the other hand, I'm learning some new ways of phrasing things so that I'm understood. Always qualify the amount of beer you want (a pint); most Americans like red sauce on their chips; bloody hell sounds good with an Irish accent (and I'll say it even with my American accent).

My amusement of the day was babbling to Christy on IM while trying to figure out why I couldn't use the | key on my keyboard (it's an integral key if you're a programmer). It was completely out of place - rather than being in the upper right it was in the middle left of the keyboard!! And don't get me started on making the keyboard type the euro sign (which I can't figure out on my lovely American keyboard here); the keyboard indicates that if you press some miraculous combination with the 4 (not shift - that's showing the American-centric-culture of computers and shift-4 still makes a $), but if you press some other combonation with 4 you will get the euro sign. However, the keyboard is a big fat hairy liar (ok - it's not hairy). You hit Shift-Control-e to get the euro sign. Who'da thunkit?

Off to enjoy my absolutely phenomenal dinner courtesy of M&S. I hate to admit that shopping for yummy food at Marks & Spencer makes me feel absolutely and completely dirty........

No comments: