03 May 2006

Will I ever drink Guiness?

So, although the pub where I grabbed dinner tonight proclaimed that "beer is what was invented so the Irish wouldn't take over the world" I still think that the Irish could've fought back with Guiness.

If the mass population had to live and play and work near where that stuff is brewed, they'd not be so excited to drink it. (or maybe they would?) I work right next to the Guiness Brewery here and yesterday when I went to find the office I noticed the neighborhood smelled rancid. I chalked this up to the fact that it's a sketchier part of Dublin and that's just that. Today I got off the Luas and was getting lost on my way to work when I inhaled a lungfull (or 2) of the same putrid stench: the smell of beef stroganoff gone very bad; the smell of Guiness brewing. YUCK!

Needless to say, I didn't touch Guiness tonight with dinner eventhough I haven't experienced the supposed joy of "Guiness tastes so much better in Ireland". Instead, I stuck with Smithwicks which was happy making.

No comments: