22 May 2006

Weekend in Cork

I decided Thurs afternoon that I was really going away this weekend - not just thinking about it - and made room and train reservations for Cork in Southern Ireland. So Friday right after work I took off for Cork.

It was a trip with badness on the beginning and end, but a perfectly pleasant middle:
  • I had my camera stolen somewhere between Dublin and Cork on Fri which confounds me because it was in the bag between my legs the entire ride to Cork. (or I lost it - which I'm just as likely to have done) I didn't realize this till I was leaving the hotel the next morning. I wanted to sob with frustration. My new baby camera!!!
  • Got to the hotel and checked in. I started laughing uncontrollably when I did my normal "I'm in a hotel test the bed by flopping on it" entrance to the room. That was the most abysmal bed I've ever spent 5 mins on, let alone 3 nights. Ughs. Well, I guess I only really spent 2 nights on it since last night I didn't really sleep at all. Thank god the rest of the hotel was acceptable and the staff was friendly.
  • I was across the street from what has turned into my favorite pub ever. It just had so much character. There were lots of "regulars" and non-regular locals there. Both Fri and Sat (yes, it's sad that I went two nights when I thought I'd only go Fri - but it was that much fun) there were local musicians just sitting in a circle playing their hearts out. Mmmm - random Irish music with cute ass flutists who wink and buy you a pint. Good Fri night and pretty good Sat night (no flutist - so it didn't live up to it's preceding night).
  • Spent Saturday walking - I walked soooooooo disgustingly much. It was gorgeous and sunny out and Cork is an absolutely lovely city. I'd share pictures if I had them. Ok - so I have a few but I don't have the cable to get them off my mobile. The highlights were the pretty quaint local church I wandered into somewhere just outside the city centre, and the Cork City Gaol. Had an amazingly yummy dinner and then went back to Sin E.
  • Woke up to pouring rain Sun morning with 2 options for things to do: go to Blarney or go to Kinsale. I was either going to not-kiss the yucky Blarney Stone or go take a long walk on the beach and their surrounding hills. Due to the rain, I decided that Blarney would be more fun and because of this got to sleep in. Grabbed the bus to Blarney and did the touristy romp to the top of the castle where I hung myself upside down (eeep) over the air (and some safety rails) to air-kiss the Blarney Stone. I wasn't kissing that thing - germs! Then wandered the grounds forever in the rain (so pretty) and grabbed myself a great lunch at the local pub before catching the bus back. I was rained out, so after stopping in 2 stores for some shopping, I caught a showing of The DaVinci Code and grabbed pizza on my way to the hotel.
  • Got back happy and ready to go home to my Dublin apartment. And then hell broke loose in my stomach and I didn't sleep. So I spent all day today in bed or the bathroom hating life itself.
So that's that. If I ever figure out how to get my low-quality pictures off my mobile, I'll share with you a favorite or two.

No comments: