29 April 2006

Am I really in Dublin? [email]

Thank you to everyone for your phonecalls and well wishes during the "is she going or isn't she going" past 2 weeks of determining if I was really going to Dublin or not. Well, apparently Ireland let me into the country because I'm sitting here looking out over the Liffey with no sleep in me. I'm exhausted and not at all ready to sleep (although I foresee a shower at the end of this computer stint - airplane grunge does not suit me).

I don't really feel like I'm in Dublin right now because I'm not seeing anything different than when I left Seattle I-don't-want-to-think-about
-how-long-ago. It's 11:30am here (it was 10:30am when I left my house in Seattle); the same amount of sun is out; the temperature's the same; it's a city.

Oh wait, that's right - so I was on my way from the airport to meet up with the woman who was to let me into my apartment and give me the keys etc (I'm still not sure I'll be able to get myself back in - there are a friggin' lot of keys to this place). I had this awesome taxi driver who was going on and on about how much he thought I was going to love Dublin. I was staring wide eyed while going around roundabouts on the left side (I'm so glad I didn't rent a car for that very reason) and all of a sudden he says to me "love, have you eatten breakfast this morn?" I dumbly shook my head no and next thing I know we're making a right turn, he's turning off the engine and he's got his cell phone to his ear to call his wife and ask her to put on coffee ("or do you want tea, darlin?" "tea" "milk, sugar?" "sugar") Whoa - stop for a moment and think about this - I've just spent the past 15 hours travelling and a 60 year old taxi driver with a nice healthy Irish accent is having his wife make me biscuits and tea for breakfast. His wife was lovely and he was quite the gentleman. After a really quick stop (off the meter) we headed downtown and I'm not happily at my apartment trying to figure out if this is real again.

I guess it's time to get myself ready to go wander around Dublin for the day.

Hugs,
Yvette

No comments: