08 June 2006

"Drive on the Left"

So, my car has a little sticker that reflects on the right hand side of the car saying "drive on the left" with a little arrow. It's a tiny little red car!!! The pedals are the same, I sit on the right side, the blinker/windshield wiper thingies are all mirrored from the US versions, and the most disturbing thing is that the gear shift is on the left. That one still makes me reach for my door - but maybe that's because I've only backed up a total of 2 times so far.

And we only got lost entering Belfast - miraculous! Amy is brilliant with a map.

Another random saying from the UK: "set down area" - load and unload zone

Oh - and why does Northern Ireland have all it's roadsigns in miles? My car's spedometer doesn't even tell me miles!!! Dare to be different I guess? Silly silly rebelleous country.

I'm going to innundate people with pictures and stories once Amy leaves - between my 70 pictures and 3 days in London; then at least 70 pictures and 4 days in Northern Ireland - yeah - it's going to be a lot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Explain this sticker thing to me. It's a rental? They accept foreign driver's licenses?

-Kevin

Unknown said...

Hey Kevin,

I'm getting ready to do a few photo posts of my adventure, but to get to your driving questions....

I rented a car in Dublin and drove in both Ireland and Northern Ireland with it entirely legally. They accept UK, EU and US liscences (and a few others) as legal here. So mine was just fine. For a non-Irish and non-UK liscenced driver, you had to be 26 or over - thank god I just became old!

So I ended up renting a "subcompact" car - which in European terms means as tiny as they can stick the pieces in.
Somehow this was a 4 door hatchback!

And then they put a sticker on the dashboard of the driver's side window (the right corner) that reflects onto the windshield.