19 September 2006

step away from the hand eating machine

Yes, I'm blogging from work; yes, this is not an appropriate use of work time except I'm waiting for about 3 different things to finish and can't handle anymore tasks simultaneously in the workspace of my brain.

So, as I mentioned earlier I made my decision about which team to work for, and I find it absolutely fascinating but maybe that's just the geekette in me.

I'm getting out of the world of placing an order (cart, checkout, etc) to move to the world of fulfilling an order. In specific, I'm writing software designed to make everything flow through the systems and get from the people picking the stuff off the shelves out the door to the trucks waiting to deliver it to our wonderful customers. In other words: packing.

It's completely different compared to what I've spent the past 2+ years of my career here doing and I figured I'd go for it. I mean, who doesn't want to travel to Kentucky or Nevada or Tokyo to see different fulfillment centers and look at machines and try them out? I know I certainly wanna see how factories process boxes and talk about glue temperatures in meetings and how to regulate them via software. I really do find the entire process management aspect fascinating.

So it's not something you can see anymore like when I setup the messages and shut off ordering to Louisianna after Hurricane Katrina on the customer facing website, but every day software that I write will go into effect making sure our boxes are packed with the right stuff on time.

But if we get your shrinkwrap wrong, or we put things in way too big of a box, or give you the wrong packing slip - please, for the love of Yvette - don't let me know unless we do it repeatedly! I'm not the one who's there getting my hands stuck in machines.

The way I ended my lunch meeting with my manager's manager today was with her saying "oh, good, then you know how to deal with childlike people who are tempted to stick their fingers in the electrical outlets to see if they're working." Bloody brilliant!

No comments: