18 May 2004

*sing* bzzz bzzz bzzz went the cicada!

The cicadas are here. They emerge every 17 years in Baltimore (except the pathetic lil' guys who emerge early / late).

Cicadas have a very pathetic life: sleep for 17 years, come out of ground, fly around blind whacking into things and if you don't get stepped on by an annoyed animal (or eatten by a dog) then you have one round of sex, lay eggs if female, and die.

Being reincarnated as a cicada means you pissed the big guy off. And you did the pissing off with such style that you get to be taunted with one quickie in your life.

I haven't been "freaked out" by the cicadas, although one did try to freak me today. He flew up my skirt. He was a rude lil' bugger and I gave him the smack down and stomp out. I'd feel sorry for him if he wasn't such a player.

Cicadas create this humming sound that I can't accurately describe - sometimes it sounds like a lawnmower, sometimes not. I hear it constantly at work and it's "coming closer" to my apartment. I didn't notice it at first since it's a very "background" noise.

And did I mention that these bugs are ugly and stupid? They can't see but they have stereotypical red bug eyes. They're fat and they fly like drunken blind bugs. Poor pathetic cicadas.

I play softball tomorrow. I hope that the cicadas don't decide to join the game.... although if they did, I might actually catch the ball!

No comments: