27 May 2004

One day more! Another day another destiny...

"One Day More" - Les Miserables the musical
VALJEAN
One day more!
Another day, another destiny.
This never-ending road to Calvary;
These men who seem to know my crime
Will surely come a second time.
One day more!

MARIUS
I did not live until today.
How can I live when we are parted?
It is another day till we are parted: my students and I. Tomorrow I teach my last class indefinitely. Tomorrow at 8:05 I take my last attendance and cheerily wish the kidlings a goodmorning to their grumbles and glowers. Tomorrow is a great class (hopefully!)

I shall have food and guests and robots and kids tomorrow. It's scary to invite the entire school to your last class ever. It's fun to know they're interested. I've made it.

Today I bid my last 9th grader adieu, and the quietest girl was the first to say goodbye and wish me goodluck. Today I interviewed another candidate for my position; tomorrow another phone interview with a different candidate.

Tomorrow I stop being on a school schedule. Tomorrow I take on a "real adult" schedule. Tomorrow isn't the last day of school, it's just the last day of classes. Which in reality is so close to being the end of the end. I can count on one hand my remaining responsibilities at school (grade ET ads, grade robots, write advisor comments, meetings & other prof obligationy goodness, & tech workshop).

It's nearly the end of teaching indefinitely (yes, I do still wanna go back - I love the kids). It's nearly the beginning of my new job. I'm on the brink of moving to Seattle to become a Software Developer. One day more... of teaching and being a role model for kids... Another day another destiny.. a new job as a developer leading me to my next phase and role in life... letting me grow and live.

I'm sad; I'm excited.

See you tomorrow!

No comments: