09 June 2009

From the Galapagos Con Amor

I´m in the Galapagos. I´m not speaking nearly as much spanish but I´m one of the only gringos on board who speaks any so some of the crew on the ship likes that.

I´ve been here for 4 days and we have 4 more left. It´s been fantabulous so far. I´ll regale everyone with pictures pictures pictures when I get back (I already have about 8gigs of pictures some of which are crap so be warned).

I´m not even sure what my favorite thing has been. I think the playfulness of the sealions when you swim with them is one (yes, nose to nose swimming). I think the crazy blue footed booby mating dance is ridiulous. I think it´s far far far too hot here. I´m not at all surprised that within 24 hrs I had massive sunburn and I had to buy more sunscreen.

The boat´s interesting - part luxurious and part cramped. The bunks make me laugh quite a bit since they´re so much tinier than Semester at Sea. But they´re big enough to get by so that´s all I care about. I don´t think I´ll ever desalinate though.

Our average day is 2 or 3 hrs of nature walks and 2 hours of snorkeling. I´ve swam with sharks although I haven´t actually seen one while swimming which makes everyone laugh since Amy and Danielle have both seen many many white finned sharks.

And those are my firs timpressions of the Galapagos. I´ll write more later when I have pictures to post with it. And yes, I love my underwater camera case - it´s coming in amazing for pictures. I definitely have at least 3 stellar pictures from that alone - sealion, angel fish and turtle.

Adios amigos mios.

No comments: