05 February 2007

2 week notice explanation required

So, I'm "working"... but in reality I'm trying to understand what employers get out of two weeks notice. I gave my two weeks notice and it's getting harder and harder for me to do work. Now, most of the reasons are my problems, but some of them are work's.. For example, I'm oncall. Beeping doesn't help me work.

I'm musing over the fact that when I resigned from my teaching gig, it was much easier to be motivated to do the little things. Teaching classes, lesson plans, grading, exams, etc - they were all for the students. I'm not the type of person to jeopardize a kid's education just because I'm resigning and have the slacker-gene.

However, for my current resignation I'm trying to figure out how to keep going. I have a mental countdown going. Like right now I'm under 9.5 days. Really down around under 9 since the last Friday is full of exit interviews. But everyone knows I'm leaving so what's my motivation? I'm a generally responsible person, so that helps - but not nearly enough for some of the tedious tasks.

Does it make your employer feel better to have you for 2 weeks extra and pay that salary? I live in a state where it's employment at will and that's what my contract says.. so what's gained by them for this?

Can someone please explain the actual reason behind two week's notice. I get that it's respectful/polite/responsible - but those are all moral reasons. I work in big corporate America which is arguably neutral in morals - so what's the business reason behind this courtesy???

Back to the grind... my laptop tells me that on Friday 16 Feb at 5pm PST I will be done. I guess that's the finish line!

No comments: